Originally founded by businessmen who desired a comfortable area to build their summer homes, Glendale was established as a village in 1855. The original layout of lots, streets, and parks (designed by by R. C. Phillips, a civil engineer of Cincinnati) follows the landscape instead of a rigid geometrical grid; Glendale is recognized as the first subdivision in the United States to be laid out according to topography. Glendale is also considered to be the first planned railroad commuter town in the United States.
The historic village continues to function independently, with its own police and fire departments, water works, and sewer system. The sole village in Ohio to be listed as a National Historic Landmark, Glendale’s quiet, tree-lined streets and plentiful green spaces are often frequented by black squirrels, a 1940s legacy from businessman Thomas Carruthers III.
Glendale’s historic homes encompass its history, being built from 1860 to 1935, with fine examples of Federal, Italianate, and Victorian Vernacular, as well as Cape Cod and Second Empire styles. Prices range from $40,000 to $650,000.
Village of Glendale Ohio
Allen House by Wilson & Wilson
Hellebush Probasco House
Warwick Glenn House